Post-baccalaureate certificates are for students who have already earned a bachelor's degree and wish to continue their education in a different field. Minors are meant to complement a major course of study.
These certificate programs offer you the opportunity to continue your education without the full time or tuition commitment of pursuing a master's degree. We offer three post-baccalaureate certificate tracks in fields that continue to enjoy employment growth.
- Accounting: Gain the general accounting expertise you'll need to launch a career in the field and develop skills in critical thinking, analysis and communication.
- Computer Science: Learn about data structures, database system management and computer programming. You'll choose elective courses in Computer Information Systems or Computer Science to further sharpen your area of expertise in the industry.
- Data Analytics: Gain the fundamental tools of data exploration, visualization and modeling that can be applied your major field of study. Build the foundation you need for applying big data to your career.
- Trauma and Resiliency: Develop self-care, social justice and crisis response skills in your work with those affected by trauma in a four-course, fully online program.
Click the program title to learn more.
Accounting Required Coursework for Certificate
A study of financial accounting, financial statements, and annual reports with an emphasis on the use of GAAP. Topics of study include an examination of the conceptual framework for financial reporting, the use of time value of money concepts in accounting, the accounting for assets of a business, and accounting the liabilities of a business. Prerequisites: ACCT-201, ACCT-250.
Computer Science Required Coursework for Certificate
This course introduces computer programming, emphasizing algorithm design and implementation using conditionals, loops, functions, recursion, and object oriented programming. The course is taught in Python. Prerequisites: MATH-105, Math ACT of 22 or higher or Math SAT of 530 or higher. Offered every semester.
Data Analytics Required Coursework for Certificate
Fundamentals of descriptive and inferential statistics studied through business applications. Topics include central tendency and variability, frequency distributions, elementary probability theory, binomial, normal, and t-distributions, sampling theory, confidency intervals, hypothesis testing, regression analysis. Prerequisite: One of MATH-105/105T, Math-130/130T, Math ACT of 22 or higher or Math SAT of 530 or higher.
- Candidates must enroll in all courses on a regular basis.
- Candidates may not take or transfer in more than two courses required for a certificate from other educational institutions. Prerequisites must be met for some classes and can be transferred in from other institutions as long as they satisfy Simpson’s coursework.
- Candidates pursuing the Accounting certificate, who received their BA from Simpson College and already received credit for coursework that is a part of the Certificate program in which they are enrolled, must substitute other 300 level classes to satisfy the requirements, as approved by the department chair.
- A cumulative grade point average of (2.50) must be obtained in the program with at least a ‘C’ (2.00) grade earned in each class.
- All course requirements can be completed in one year, but students are able to attend on a part-time basis and have up to four years to complete the program.
- Written permission from the chairperson of the department offering the certificate program is required to modify course requirements.
- Each candidate who completes these requirements will receive a certificate which, in addition to the transcript, will serve as official documentation of the continuing education experience.
Let's get started
A certificate program can help advance your career.
Steps to Apply
- Complete the Certificates and Specializations Application.
- Send all college transcripts to:
Continuing & Graduate Programs Simpson College
Attn: Becky Hastie, Admissions & Recruitment Coordinator
1415 28th Street, Suite 250
West Des Moines, IA 50266
- If you have any questions, please contact Admissions & Recruitment Coordinator Becky Hastie at 515-961-1313 or email@example.com.