I am an ecologist and am fascinated by plant and insect communities, because of their incredible diversity, ecosystem services, and their myriad interactions. I stay active in research and enjoy collaborating with Simpson faculty and students. I am a co-director of the Simpson College Ecological Research Program with departmental colleague Ryan Rehmeier. I have also worked on numerous interdisciplinary projects with Heidi Berger in Mathematics. Most recently, I have joined forces with John Pauley in Philosophy to address issues related to agriculture, invasive species, and herbicide resistance. In all cases, working with students has made research efforts much more fulfilling.
- Freshwater Ecology
- Prairie Ecology
- Insect Ecology
- Plant Ecology
- Distinguished Junior Faculty Award, 2013
- Trio Student Support Services Faculty of the Year Award, 2012
- Ph.D. 2007 Zoology, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Carbondale, IL. Ecosystem structure and function in restored and natural slough wetlands: evaluation of restoration practices in the central Platte River valley
- M.S. 2000 Entomology, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS. Life history and secondary production of grasshoppers (Orthoptera: Acrididae) in a Kansas tallgrass prairie
- B.S. 1997 Biology, Wayne State College, Wayne, NE.
- Berger, H., C. K. Meyer, A. Mummert, L. Tirado*, L. Saucedo*, H. Longstreet*, D. Van Arsdale*, and G. Williams*. Submitted. Compartmental model of land use dynamics within the Tallgrass Prairie ecosystem: the case for the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP). Journal of Land Use Science.
- Baer, S. G., E. M. Bach, C. K. Meyer, C. C. Du Preez, and J. Six. 2015. Belowground Ecosystem Recovery during Grassland Restoration: South African Highveld Compared to US Tallgrass Prairie. Ecosystems 18: 390-403.
- Henrich*, S., J. Jessee*, B. Mikels*, J. Mullen*, H. Berger, C. Meyer, and D. Beresford. 2013. Application of time scales calculus to the growth and development in populations of Stomoxys calcitrans. International Journal of Difference Equations 8(2): 125-134.
- Meyer, C. K., S. D. Peterson, and M. R. Whiles. 2011. Efficiency comparisons of active macroinvertebrate sampling techniques in Platte River wetlands. Wetlands 31:101-112.
- Bach, E. M., S. G., Baer, C. K. Meyer, and J. Six. 2010. Soil microbial and structural recovery during grassland restoration on contrasting soil texture. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 42:2182-2191.
- Baer, S. G., C. K. Meyer, E. M. Back, R. P. Klopf, and J. Six. 2010. Contrasting ecosystem recovery on two soil textures: implications for carbon mitigation and grassland conservation. Ecosphere 1:1-22.
- Meyer, C. K., M. R. Whiles, and S. G. Baer. 2010. Plant community recovery following restoration in temporally variable riparian wetlands. Restoration Ecology 18:52-64.
- Meyer, C. K., S. G. Baer, and M. R. Whiles. 2008. Ecosystem recovery across a chronosequence of restored prairie slough wetlands in the Platte River valley. ECOSYSTEMS 11:193-208.
- Meyer, C. K. and M. R. Whiles. 2008. Macroinvertebrate communities in restored and natural Platte River slough wetlands. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 27:626-639.
- Meyer, C.K., M.R. Whiles, and R.E. Charlton. 2002. Life history, secondary production, and ecosystem significance of acridid grasshoppers in annually burned and unburned tallgrass prairie. American Entomologist 48:52-61
- Whiles, M.R., M.A. Callaham, Jr., C. K. Meyer, B.L. Brock, and R.E. Charlton. 2001. Emergence of periodical cicadas from a Kansas riparian forest: densities, biomass, and nitrogen flux. American Midland Naturalist 145:176-187
- Callaham, M. A. Jr., M. R. Whiles, C. K. Meyer, B. L. Brock, and R. E. Charlton. 2000. Feeding ecology and emergence production of annually emerging cicadas (Homoptera: Cicadidae) in tallgrass prairie. Oecologia 123:535-542