Carolyn’s students, as part of their coursework, serve meals to food insecure adults and children, mentor immigrant elementary school students, and mentor middle school students in a mock trial about no bullying in the schools. She leads students to study various cultures in and out of the classroom including trips on the nationally designated American Indian “Trail of Tears” from Tennessee to Oklahoma, and trips to Ghana, Africa; Chukotka, Russia; and Tahiti and French Polynesia.
Prior to coming back to teach at her alma mater, Simpson College, Carolyn served as a social worker serving disabled children and abused women and children; as an Executive Director of a domestic violence agency; as a supervisor of Human Rights Investigators; and as a Human Rights Attorney. Carolyn thrives in bringing these various experiences into the classroom to benefit her students.
- Simpson College Faculty Leadership Award (9/2018)
- Iowa Professor of the Year Award in Washington D.C. from C.A.S.E. and Carnegie (11/2011)
- Simpson College Junior Faculty Award (5/2009)
- B.A. Simpson College 1980
- M.S.W. University of Washington 1983
- J.D. Southern University 1989
- Ph.D. Iowa State University 2015
- Social Justice
- Implicit Bias in Policing & other social interactions
- Social Inequalities
- Cultural Comparisons
- Achieving a Global Mindset at Home: Student Engagement with Immigrant Children, Teaching Sociology, Volume: 45 issue: 4, page(s): 358-367
- Article first published online: August 23, 2017; Issue published: October 1, 2017
- Prejudice reduction through mentoring relationships between college students and immigrant children, Mentoring Conference, published as conference paper and publication, National Mentoring Conference, Mentoring Institute, Albuquerque, NM, 10/2015.
- An integrated theory of prejudice reduction through service learning: College students’ interactions with immigrant children, May 2015, Digital Repository @ Iowa State University.
- Surviving Hurricane Katrina: One Family’s Story, January 2011. 17-Chapter book. Blurb.com on Amazon.com.