facebook icon twitter icon youtube icon

May Term International Travel Courses

If you are a student interested in studying abroad on an INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL COURSE
during May Term, STOP and read the following information:

In order to ensure a good match between students’ academic goals and those of their chosen travel course, Simpson College has instituted an application procedure for May Term international travel courses. Here’s what you need to do:

Select the course that best matches your interests and educational goals. To help you make this decision, speak with faculty course instructors for more information about the courses.

Review the following documents related to applying for and participating in study abroad during May Term:

Create an account on the online application system, and then complete the online application process on that site.  Please note:  If you don’t yet have a Simpson GPA, please enter “8.0” in the required GPA field on the application system.  This will serve as a placeholder to indicate that you’re new to Simpson and don’t yet have a GPA here.

Upload the following to your Simpson SC Connect account:

  • a copy of your Simpson College degree audit
  • a copy of  the data page from your passport, if you already have it, but if you don’t already have a passport, then upload a copy of your completed passport application (with your SSN blacked out).
    • Please note:  Although you are asked to show that you’ve filled out the passport application, you are not required to submit that completed passport application until you’ve received notification that you have been accepted into a travel course. If you are officially accepted into a course, the application, supporting documentation, and associated processing fee can be submitted to the Warren County Recorder’s Office or any other passport application processing site.
  • Proof of payment of the $200 non-refundable deposit from the Simpson College Business Office.  The preferred method of making the deposit payment is in person at the Business Office window.  This will ensure that the deposit payment is properly credited to one's student account as a study abroad deposit payment.  Alternatively, students are able to make the payment online using SC Connect, but if this is done, it is essential to also email Nicole Kickbush in the Business Office to let her know that the payment made online is intended to be a study abroad deposit as the payment system doesn't allow for such a notation.

    The $200 deposit is non-refundable, but it is possible to get a refund if you learn that you did not get accepted into the course to which you’ve applied and you decide not to apply to join another course which still has space availability. Also, if you need to apply for loans to help fund your travel course expenses and you learn that you are unable to secure student loan funds due to a lack of credit or a co-signor, or if you need to receive a Walt Scholarship to help cover some of the costs but you learn that your scholarship either doesn’t come through or it doesn’t cover as much as you need it to, you can apply to have your deposit money refunded to you. This refund option is being offered only up until October 26, 2021.  Contact Matthew Kaye  in the OIE for details.

Complete online applications submitted by the priority deadline of Oct. 5, 2021 will be evaluated and the applicants will be notified of selection decisions one week later via email from the Office of International Education.  Applications received after the priority deadline will be reviewed on a rolling, space-available basis, and a decision regarding each application will be made within two weeks of receipt of all application materials.  Should you not get into your preferred course, you may then apply for a second choice, as long as that course still has space. However, you may not apply for more than one course at a time.

The International Travel Course Policies document contains answers to many frequently asked questions. If you have additional questions, please contact Matthew Kaye in the Office of International Education.